Sunday, November 17, 2013

Reaction to Josh's Post


I guess I get where Josh is coming from, but I do not find this story anywhere near as interesting as he does. The whole Napoleon comparison is brilliant and it works well considering Raskolnikov’s mentality and outlook on situations. The theory/idea that Raskolnikov “feels the need to gratify himself by discovering someone in a situation where they are lower than him, and using what little he can control to help them so that he can feel in control of them” makes complete sense and actually explains a lot about Raskolnikov’s behavior in this book. But unlike Josh, I am not enjoying Crime and Punishment as much as he is. I was wrong when I said that I can speak for all of us by saying that this book is terrible, because evidently Josh loves it. Not that there is anything wrong with that, clearly a bunch of people enjoy C&P because it is an extremely famous and popular novel, but we definitely have different tastes when it comes to our reading material. I like that Josh is so passionate about it, because his opinion gives me a lot of insight on what we are reading. I never would have thought to compare Napoleon to Raskolnikov, and Josh seems to just understand the nature of the book a lot better than I do. For that, I am grateful, because without his posts I would most likely be completely lost in the plotline.

No comments:

Post a Comment