Sunday, September 15, 2013
Rodia's Dream (Rachael Marks)
I have to say that I had a very difficult time with this weeks reading. I did not take from it as much as I would have liked to. My thoughts and ability to concentrate were overshadowed by the dream Rodia has in chapter five. It was horrifying.
The imagery Dostoevsky uses to depict the scene terrified me. I could not focus on anything but the horrid picture of the vicious slaughtering of the horse. It was so graphic, so brutal, yet it was perfect for this story. The writing in the part is beautiful, it is done with excellence. A writer has done their job if they can make you feel. Whether the author makes you feel sadness, disgust, fear, or relief they are accomplishing something. They have brought you (the reader) inside of their story.
I did not particularly want to be in this aspect of the story, but my writerly appreciation gave me so many mixed feelings. In this part of the book I was faced with the collision of two things that are immensely important to me, excellent literature and animal rights. Being put together in a contrasting manner has made the reading a very painful experience for me. It is hard to feel disgust and appreciation at the same time, yet Dostoevsky has brought this upon me. I see now why he is a highly regarded author.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment