Sunday, September 8, 2013

Comment on Josh's Reaction

I find it interesting that you think Raskolnikov has redeeming qualities such as selflessness, because my reaction to these chapters was completely different. To me, it seems like you think that Raskolnikov is actually good on the inside, because he helped a defenseless girl out and gave away some of his money, of which he barely has, to help someone else out besides himself. While he did give money to a cop to take the girl back home in a cab, and also paid for said cab, I can't help but feel like he did it as some kind of power trip or to make up for some goodness that he clearly lacks. The way that he is characterized makes it seem like there is nothing good about him (but that's just my opinion and, of course, everybody is entitled to their own opinion). I think that Raskolnikov would help the girl out to satisfy some inner need to seem like the hero. He knows he's not a good guy so he's trying to prove to himself that he isn't all bad, but I could be wrong. Surely, nobody could be all terrible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment