I
find it interesting that you find Raskolnikov to be arrogant, which makes sense
according to how he reacted. When I look back on the reading I do realize that
maybe Raskolnikov is being arrogant and somewhat unthankful for his sister’s
situation. He definitely talks as if he thinks that everything he is doing is
the absolute correct thing to do. For example, helping out the drunk girl and
helping out the family in the previous chapter. From his perspective, he is ensuring
that social justice is kept by punishing those who deserved to be punished and
helping those who do not deserve to be punished, at least, in his eyes. When I
look at his actions from outside of his head, which is difficult to do because
of the way the book keeps the reader inside Raskolnikov’s head, I can see how
he is extremely arrogant. I can also see how other people might think that
certain things he is doing and/or planning to do are the absolute wrong
solution to a problem, even though he has convinced himself otherwise. This
represents a brilliant strategy that the author is employing by keeping the
reader so caught up in Raskolnikov’s thoughts that there is not much room to
question his motives. Yet, when the reader does question his motives, it brings
up the idea that no one really knows what is right. Therefore, the novel seems
to bring up the concept of the true definition of what is right and what is
wrong, and I am interested to see just how far the novel takes this concept.
No comments:
Post a Comment