Sunday, September 15, 2013
My (Alexia) Reaction to Josh's Post
I really love your interpretation of Raskolnikov's moral compass. I totally agree when you said that he believes that killing the pawnbroker is the only right thing to do when he hears someone complaining about her, and he justifies it that if someone else thinks this way about her then it must be true thus supporting his belief that he can murder her. I found that he used this and the fact that he finds out that she will be home alone at a certain time as an excuse and justification for his rationality about murdering Alyona. I also do not believe that Raskolnikov is a good person even though he has brief moments of compassion, that sometimes make me believe otherwise. They are just that, they happen for a moment and then he is back to be the self absorbed man that he normally is. I find it interesting that you think that the way the book is written show him as "morally perfect". When I read it I didn't find him to be morally perfect but I can see how Dostoyevsky through his writing style tries to justify his thoughts and actions thus making readers want to perceive him as "morally perfect". I never thought that his overexposure to the poverty and unjust society that he is surrounded by possibly affected his idea and over assumption of justice, but I can definitely, now going back, see how that could have affected him along with his anti-social personality and fragile mental state. Overall, we seem the perceive the same ideas and concepts from the story thus far.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment