It appears that Rodia has finally reached his breaking point. The line between good and evil, and although his intentions are "good" I would not define his murderous craze as such. He has not only killed his intended victim, but another person who was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Would I call it evil though? I'm unsure. Although the act was spurned on malicious intent, there is something about it that makes me feel wrong about calling it wholly evil. I do not believe Rodia is an evil person, although he is a murderer. There is something, that I cannot quite put my finger on, that brings him out of this category. It irks me that I am unable to find the words to explain why this would be. He killed in such a brutal way so why should I feel the need to defend his actions? Why is he such an admirable character? I feel sick with how much I care for him, but at the same time, I do not. Of course, I have come to realize, that this conflicting emotion I hold is something that Dostoevsky intended to create in his audiences mind. Can a person commit an act of violence and still be percieved as a decent person? Is there really such thing as good or evil? Maybe so, maybe not, but I feel like labels are not going to cut it in terms of this story. Rodia is an exception to the standard label, and maybe that is why I admire him so much.
No comments:
Post a Comment