Sunday, March 2, 2014

Comment on Alexia's

I think this is a good thesis, although you can refine your phrasing of it. I like your topic, as I had said last week, this is going to be something you're going to be able to write a lot about. My first correction with the phrasing is that you say "...environment of St. Petersburg, which was inhabited by those whom he considers far more inferior thAn himself,..." and then you say "from psychological aspects such as his superiority complex...". I think that is redundant because you are saying twice that he finds himself superior. I think you should take it away from the sentence with St. Petersburg in it, and keep it in the sentence where you are specifying what psychological problems he has. For example, "This alienation stems from the environment of impoverished St. Petersburg, (and maybe say something about the type of people there, like) inhabited by extremely rude, low-class, drunk people, and from psychological issues such as his superiority complex and a feeling of growing guilt that eats him from the inside out". I think that makes your thesis statement a lot more believable, gives it a little more specificity and foreshadowing, and also does not make it redundant. I think thesis statements should be to the point. Another last thing about the first sentence is, I think you should say "Raskolnikov.....within the novel, BECAME alienated from society" as opposed to "had become".

Your original thesis:
Raskolnikov, due to social, environmental and psychological aspects that are expressed within in the novel, had become alienated from society. This alienation stems from the environment of St. Petersburg, which was inhabited by those whom he considers far more inferior then himself, and from psychological aspects such as his superiority complex and growing guilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment