Sunday, October 27, 2013
Poor Raskolnikov
First off, I must admit that, while I do believe Raskolnikov should be punished for the crimes he committed, I do not wish to see him go to prison or given the capital punishment. I do, however, want him to suffer internally for the rest of his existence; his true punishment resides in his own mind, not whether he is caught or not. Having to live with the guilt of murder will haunt him for the rest of his life. With that said, it is evident that the guilt is already catching up to him. As of this moment, he lives in constant fear that he will be caught for the murders at any time of the day. His paranoia coupled with his guilt is slowly starting to eat away at him. He is jumpy, nervous, anxious, and frightened about everything, and his character is weakening with every turn of the page. It has become somewhat annoying to read Crime and Punishment now, because his stream of consciousness is scattered and erratic. He no longer possesses the arrogant, self-righteous demeanor he previously put forth. The consequences to his actions are starting to catch up to him, and he is not the same Raskolnikov we were initially introduced to. Not that this is a bad thing, because I never really liked Raskolnikov's character in the first place, but it does make me feel a little bad for the guy. Living in constant fear is unhealthy and, in my opinion, I think it will take its toll on his psyche.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment