Sunday, August 25, 2013

My Reaction to the Beginning of "Crime and Punishment"

What I perceived from what I read in the first two chapters was that the main character, Raskolnikov, lives in a state of complete poverty in St. Petersburg, and the people in his surroundings do not live much better than he does. In the first two chapters we are introduced to other characters such as Marmeladov, who has an even worse situation than Raskolnikov. Raskolnikov lives in poverty, but at least can make it in his home. Marmeladov has a horrible situation in which he has four kids, a daughter who is a prostitute, he is an alcoholic, and his wife has to deal with all this and treats the daughter very crudely. Raskolnikov does the favor of taking Marmeladov home, and after he sees his entire situation and how Marmeladov has finished all his family's money on alcohol, Raskolnikov leaves money when he leaves the house. I think that action proves that Raskolnikov has a genuine and caring side to him. Being human, he double thinks his action but at the end leaves it at giving the money to the family because he is kind hearted on the inside. Of course, I cannot really make a judgement or prediction on what is going to happen in the novel because I have only read two chapters, but these are my initial thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment